Sunday, September 26, 2010

Belize day 2

Kasia arrives and we are all together - three generations. Last time I was in such setting was with my mom and grandma and I was a rebel then. Apparently, I did not evolve much since and I feel that I exasperate my companions once a while.  Perhaps a month of training in FEI (Federal Executive Institute) would make me more sensitive.
Anyway, Belize is a very interesting place. In one respect it is exactly like US - everything costs as much as in Washington. It is a bit surprising at first but we quickly adapt. It is quite amazing though, all neighboring countries are poor so I cannot imagine Belize exporting anything there. Perhaps citizen pay negative tax ala Alaska or there is some other scheme.

The first day of diving and snorkeling is very nice. Diving is very basic, it is Kasia's training course. Instead of a second dive I join snorklers. We swim with nurse sharks which are 5-6 feet long and look very pleasant. Amazing stuff...


In the afternoon we rent bikes and go with Kasia to town. She insists on back roads and such. As we would in the US, we discover that there are actually poor people living here. We buy a bottle of hot sauce, and the bottle is wrapped in an old newspaper. It lists local crimes and felonies, and other life's miseries.

We awake next morning and things are not looking good. It is rainy, windy and we quickly find out that hurricane Matthew is heading our way. The maps shows that the center will be above Belize on Sunday - the day of departure. The last two dives are postponed (because of the weather until noon) and in all likelihood they will be canceled. We have a family meeting and decide to head back a day earlier. I am very unhappy and I generously share my pain with others. This is the low point.

No comments:

Post a Comment